I’ve just finished another collage painting. I thought I had ruined this one because I created it on paper and when I glued it to a hardboard panel, it had so many wrinkles in it that I didn’t think they were going to come out. I was so aggravated and just kept thinking about how it was a favorite and I was probably just going to have to throw it away. I kept putting heavy books on it and trying to smooth down the paper. Finally I stopped stressing over it and had a little talk with myself about how there are going to be mistakes and I should just be happy that I got to enjoy creating it. I also learned some new techniques along the way.
The next day, I went to look at it again and all the wrinkles that were not supposed to be there, were gone! I guess the glue just need to dry more and, when it did, the paper shrunk down to fit the board. I was a happy camper!
Here are a some pictures of how it progressed.
I mixed up some modeling past and paint and applied it with a palate knife over a vintage plastic doily to create the textured design. I didn’t have a dragonfly stamp big enough for this piece so I had to improvise. Using a stamp I had, I applied ink and stamped it onto white paper and scanned the image. I then copied and pasted it into Word where I re-sized it. I then printed it onto tissue paper, cut it out and glued it on.
I also found out just how much I love using dry waxed deli paper. I will be sharing some techniques I have learned along the way in a future post.