I started this painting on mixed media paper and added a little collage using a couple pieces of torn paper from a vintage calendar. I kept adding layer upon layer of different colored paint (mainly Golden fluid acrylics). The fluid acrylics allow some of the previous layers to show through. I scratched into some of the paint layers while still wet and did a little stamping using the bottom of a flip flop (tiny dots) and drywall tape (tiny squares). I also used bubble wrap to stamp onto some areas.
I finally got to where I was happy with the paint layers, but then realized it needed some more calendar numbers added near the bottom to balance it out. I didn’t have any more of the calendar pages to use as collage but remembered that I had previously scanned some of the numbered pages into my computer. I decided to use the scanned image to create rub-ons that I could put directly on top of the painting.
To create the rub-ons, I copied and pasted the scanned image into a Word document and then printed it out in reverse onto the slick side of some transparency film. I lay the slick side of the film onto the painting and rubbed the numbers on using a craft stick. I like that you can’t tell any difference between the rub-on numbers and the collaged on ones.
After adding the additional numbers, I felt like it still needed something. I decided to collage on some crinkly black thread. It was a pain getting the thread glued down but do like the way it turned out.
Have a great Memorial Day weekend!