Finally finished this painting that I started working on in July of last year.
Here is how it started and here is the blog post where I wrote about it. I got stuck on what I wanted to do with it so didn’t do anything for a long time. I think I was just having a hard time letting go of all that color, as I have done before. Last week I pulled it out of the closet and grabbed some markers and paint pens. My granddaughter and I got busy adding some more marks. I drew in the floral shapes using black india ink in an oiler boiler bottle. Next I started adding Golden’s titanium white paint mixed with a little soft gel medium. I scraped some on with a store card and lightly sponged and brushed some on areas closer to the ink lines.
I had previously added vintage music papers to the sides of the canvas and had added various colors of Gelatos on top of the papers. I decided I wanted the music paper muted a bit more so I went over it with a layer of white gesso and then brought back in some of the color with the Gelatos. It’s hard to see unless you zoom in, but I added music notes to some sections of the flower shapes by stamping them onto deli paper with permanent ink. I then layed the deli paper over the section I wanted to collage, traced the outline, cut out the shape and then collaged the pieces onto the canvas.
I’m happy I was finally able to let it go and get this piece finished up!