Here are the other abstracts that I mentioned in my previous post. It’s a set of two paintings that I have name Obscured. These are larger than most of my paintings at 20 by 20 inches. They are on a gallery wrapped canvas that has 1 1/2 inch deep sides that are painted black. I used mainly acrylic paints and charcoal pencil. I had a lot fun making scribbles with the charcoal pencil and then somewhat obscuring the marks with paint.
Can’t believe it has been a month since I last posted. I have been busy but at least some of that busyness included art making. I finished this abstract painting, along with a few others, since my last post. This painting is on a 12 x 16 inch canvas with the painting extended onto the sides. I used mica flakes to add some glimmer. I like the texture the flakes add to the painting in addition to the glimmer. When I look at it, it makes me think of a formal evening gown so I decided to name it The Gala.
I’ll try to get pictures of the other two paintings and post them before another month goes by.
This is the other abstract I had finished a few weeks ago. I finally got my camera settings adjusted (or rather my hubby did), so I could get a picture to post.
I painted this on mixed media paper and then mounted the paper to a wood panel. It is 9 x 12 inches.
Enjoy your weekend!
This painting was created based on a Life Book 2016 lesson given by Gillian Lee Smith. I love her paintings and really enjoyed learning her shading techniques and creating so much yummy texture using gesso. My husband said it looked like a storm was coming, so I decided to name it “Before the Storm”.
I had recently splurged and bought myself some Arches watercolor paper. It’s so expensive but I loved the way it took on all the wet media in this piece! It didn’t buckle or pill. Can’t wait to use it again!
I haven’t had much play time lately so I haven’t completed any new pieces in a while. This piece is in progress (not sure if it will end up looking anything similar to what it does now or not). I also started on a new character in my character journal that I hope to finish up soon.
I hope you all are enjoying your summer so far!
I had a wonderful holiday weekend visiting family in southeast Missouri. I didn’t have much time for art before we left on our trip but I just had to get some paint on my hands. I decided to work a little on a painting I had put aside quite some time ago. It already had a number of layers of paint on it and I figured that it was going to be awhile, if ever, that I got it to where I liked it. I really had no expectations.
I scraped on a few colors of green paint, and then added some paint spatters and some gold leaf. When I stepped back to see what needed to happen next, I realized that, finally, nothing more needed to happen.
I hope all those who celebrated the Memorial Day holiday, had a good one!
This painting is on a 12″ x 12″ canvas and has been through many, many, stages. I never could seem to get it to where I liked it – not even a little. I finally covered it with gesso and started over.
I added torn pieces of a map in random places on both the top and sides of the canvas. Next I added some blue, coral and small amounts of yellow paint around and over parts of the map pieces. The third layer was created by spreading molding paste randomly over the canvas, including the sides. I stamped into the paste in some areas using bubble wrap and drywall tape. Once the molding paste dried, I added more blue and coral paint. I ran around the edges with a light gray Pitt big brush marker and smudged it in before it dried.
I’m glad I finally got it to where like it. Have a great week!